Microarthropods

Authored by: Mark G. St. John , D.A. Crossley , David C. Coleman

Handbook of Soil Sciences Properties and Processes

Print publication date:  November  2011
Online publication date:  November  2011

Print ISBN: 9781439803059
eBook ISBN: 9781439803066
Adobe ISBN:

10.1201/b11267-34

 Download Chapter

 

Abstract

Microarthropods are a major fraction of the soil mesofauna, namely, those arthropods with body widths ranging between approximately 0.05 and 2 mm and body lengths between 0.1 and 10 mm (Figure 25.2). This scheme of classification, although imprecise, is practical, defined by the method of sampling. Microarthropods are sampled by collecting a fragment of habitat (e.g., a soil core) and extracting them from it, while macroarthropods (Section 25.4) are usually hand-collected or trapped. Microarthropods are dominated by two groups: springtails (Collembola, a group of near-insect hexapods) and mites (Acari, a subclass of arachnids). Together, springtails and mites account for about 90% of the microarthropods in most soil systems. The remaining 10% of soil microarthropods often include Diplura, Protura, Symphyla, Pauropoda, Pseudoscorpiones, fly (Diptera) larvae, thrips (Thysanoptera), and some small spiders (Araneae), true bugs (Hemiptera), and beetles (Coleoptera). Immature stages of many insect orders are collected from soil samples, and some may be considered microarthropods for purposes of a particular study.

 Cite
Search for more...
Back to top

Use of cookies on this website

We are using cookies to provide statistics that help us give you the best experience of our site. You can find out more in our Privacy Policy. By continuing to use the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.